Genus Apps allows you to add auditing capabilities to an Object Class. Audit trails for an Object Class is stored in the Event History which is a chronological sequence of audit trails, each of which contains evidence directly pertaining to and resulting from an event. The Event History enables users to reconstruct and examine the sequence of events and/or changes in an event for an object.
If an Object Class is part of a composition, audit trails for an object are logged in the Event History both for the object and the composition. Events such as Created, Modified and Deleted, are logged as a Modified event on the composition. For example, if Contact Person is part of Customer, and a new contact person is added to a customer, the event is logged as a Create event on the contact person and a Modified event on the customer.
Events Tracked in the Event History
|Read||Occurs when an object is opened for reading. For example, if an object is opened in a Form or sent to a printer.|
|Execute||Occurs when an object with dynamic content is executed, for example an Report or an Agent.|
|Create||Occurs when an object is created.|
|Modify||Occurs when one or more properties for an object have been changed, or an object which is part of a composition is created, modified or deleted.|
|Delete||Occurs when an object is deleted.|
|Link and Unlink||Occurs when an object is linked/unlinked to/from another object. For example, if an employee is assigned as a key account manager for a customer, this will generate a link event on the employee object.|
|Search||Occurs when a search for objects of this type is performed.|
|Authorized||Occurs when permissions are granted/revoked for a security group or a user account on an object.|
Activating Auditing for an Object Class
- Select the Object Class for which you want to activate auditing. Note that if the Object Class is part of a composition, auditing is activated on the composition the Object Class is part of.
- Right-click the Object Class, and then on the shortcut menu, click Open.
- Click the Events tab.
- In the section Auditing, select the Enabling auditing check box.
- Choose which events you want to track in the Event History. If the event should be tracked for all objects, click the Mandatory check box. To allow users to select if the event should be tracked for individual objects, click the Optional check box. Note that the events Create and Delete not can be omitted from the Event History when auditing is activated. To disable auditing for an event, click the Never check box.
Advanced Auditing Options
Logging of Link and Unlink Events
Logging of link and unlink events occurs when an object from the Object Class is linked to or unlinked from another object. You can reduce the number of events logged by specifying that these events not are logged for all properties.
- Click Advanced.
- In the Advanced Auditing Options dialog box, select the Do not log events for these properties check box.
- Click Select.
- In the Select Properties dialog box, all properties with a link to the Object Class are displayed.
- To add a property, select the property in the Available List, and then click Add.
- To remove a property, select the property in the Selected Properties list, and then click Remove.
Logging of Events for Object Classes within this Composition
By default, events are logged for all Object Classes within a composition. To disable logging for one or more Object Classes, follow these steps:
- Click Advanced.
- In the Advanced Auditing Options dialog box, select the Do not log events for these Object Classes check box.
- Click Select.
- In the Event Logging dialog box, click to clear the Enabled checkbox if you want to disable logging for an Object Class.